Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use


Historical Use


In Use As

Public house


1250 - 1300


250593, 155989

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached seven-bay single-storey over part-raised basement rubble stone house with dormer attic, c.1275, probably originally detached with single-bay single-storey return to east. Subsequently in use as inn, post-1449. Extensively reconstructed, c.1625. Renovated, c.1950, with some openings remodelled. Renovated, 1966, with some openings remodelled to accommodate alternative commercial use. Refenestrated, c.2000. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rubble limestone chimney stacks, and replacement aluminium rainwater goods, 1966, on overhanging timber eaves. Random rubble limestone walls. Square-headed window openings to front (west) elevation remodelled, 1966, with cut-limestone sills, and replacement six-over-six timber sash windows, c.2000. Square-headed window openings to side (north) elevation with cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, chamfered mullions, hood mouldings over, and timber casement windows (most now blocked-up). Paired round-headed window openings to return with cut-limestone surrounds having chamfered reveals, and chamfered mullion (now blocked-up). Segmental-headed door opening with two cut-limestone steps, cut-limestone pilaster surround having moulded necking supporting archivolt, and replacement glazed timber panelled double doors, c.2000, having fanlight. Round-headed opening to basement with cut-limestone surround having chamfered reveals (now blocked-up). Road fronted.


A substantial building of national significance having origins in the mid fourteenth century, thereby representing an important element of the archaeological heritage of Kilkenny. Despite a series of alteration works over the course of subsequent centuries the building continues to exude a medieval character in the streetscape on account of the restoration by Colm O'Cochlain (n. d.) of attributes including mullioned window openings in cut-limestone frames displaying high quality stone masonry. Originally known as Kyteler's Hall the building remains of additional importance for the associations with Dame Alice Kyteler (1280-1324), a notorious money-lender tried and burnt for sorcery together with the connections with the Shee family.