Categories of Special Interest
1860 - 1865
Remains of gateway, built 1862, on a symmetrical plan comprising pair of drag edged rusticated limestone ashlar outer piers on moulded cushion courses on drag edged tooled limestone ashlar plinths having ogee-detailed cornices on friezes on stringcourses below monolithic capping. Street fronted.
The remains of a gateway surviving as an interesting relic of the 'PUBLIC MARKETS ESTABLISHED UNDER 24TH VICTORIA CHAP. 49 [Kilkenny Markets Act 1861]'. NOTE: A panel installed during the mayoralty (1887-8) of Patrick M. Egan (1843-1903) commemorates the 'CONFEDERATION HALL ON THIS SPOT...WHERE ON THE 24_ OCTOBER 1642 THE CONFEDERATE PARLIAMENT OR GENERAL ASSEMBLY...MET TO LEGISLATE FOR THE IRISH NATION AND TO CONDUCT THE CONFEDERATE WARS WHICH WERE WAGED TO MAINTAIN THE RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL LIBERTIES OF THE IRISH PEOPLE'.