Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1900, on a corner site originally two separate single-bay three-storey houses possibly incorporating fabric of earlier ranges, c.1825, on site with two-bay three-storey side (north) elevation, and two-bay four-storey rear (east) elevation. Refenestrated, c.1950. Reroofed, c.1975. Renovated with replacement wrap-around shopfront inserted to ground floor. Two of a group of three. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1975, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with cast-iron tie plates. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds having foliate embossed keystones, and replacement timber casement windows, c.1950. Replacement polished granite wrap-around shopfront to ground floor with panels, fixed-pane display windows, gazed timber double doors, and stepped timber fascia. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An appealing building originally built as two separate houses forming part of a group of three identical units (with 12000080/KK-4766-09-80) representing an assemblage of modest appearance in the streetscape. Despite renovation works over the course of the twentieth century that have led to the loss of some of the historic fabric many of the original composition attributes survive intact: however, a boldly-detailed shopfront does not have a beneficial impact on the external expression of the site at street level.