Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1765 - 1785
Terraced two-bay two-storey gable-fronted house with half-dormer attic, c.1775, originally two-bay three-storey. Extensively renovated, 1883, with shopfront inserted to ground floor and top floor remodelled. Reroofed with shopfront renovated. Pitched (gable-fronted) and hipped roof with replacement artificial slate, clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Painted rendered, ruled and lined wall to front (west) elevation with cut-stone plaque to first floor, cast-iron tie plates to first floor, unpainted roughcast walls to side elevations, and exposed random rubble stone construction to rear (east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds (plain surround to half-dormer attic), and replacement two-over-two timber sash windows, 1883, having timber casement window to half-dormer attic. Timber shopfront, 1883, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, replacement fixed-pane display window, replacement glazed timber door, fascia over having consoles, and dentilated moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A pleasant modest-scale house distinguished in the streetscape on account of the gable fronting on to the road resulting from the truncation of the site to accommodate the widening of High Street in the late nineteenth century as outlined in a wall-mounted plaque. Subsequently well maintained the house presents an early aspect with substantial quantities of the historic fabric surviving intact including a pretty shopfront of some artistic design importance.