Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use

Post office

In Use As

Post office


1945 - 1955


250596, 155934

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced five-bay three-storey flat-roofed post office, c.1950, incorporating fabric of earlier post office, 1860. Flat roof not visible behind parapet with rendered (shared) chimney stack, and concealed rainwater goods. Limestone ashlar-clad wall to ground floor with unpainted cement rendered walls over having rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed openings to ground floor with cut-limestone intermediary piers, fixed-pane (two-light) windows on risers, tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors having sidelights, and overlight. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with cut-stone sills, and six-over-six timber sash windows having iron balcony to right first floor. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


A well-appointed substantial post office reconstructed incorporating the fabric of a mid nineteenth-century Classical-style counterpart, thereby retaining the proportions to the upper floors together with some of the early fabric. A limestone-clad frontage together with some iron accents lend a Modernist quality distinguishing the composition in the streetscape. The site remains of additional local importance for the connections with Francis Doherty (n. d.) and the declaration of a one-man Republic as recounted by Denis Johnston (1901-84) in "The Golden Cuckoo" (1939).