Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1825, incorporating fabric of medieval house, pre-1700, on site. Extensively renovated, c.1925, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed, c.1975. Pitched roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1975, clay ridge tiles, and concealed rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and replacement timber casement windows, c.1925. Timber shopfront, c.1925, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane (four-light) timber display window on panelled stall riser having foliate motif, timber panelled double doors, fascia over having decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An appealing middle-size house retaining the original form and massing to the upper floors together with much of the early fabric, thereby contributing positively to the visual appeal of an historic streetscape: incorporating the fabric of a medieval (pre-1700) counterpart on site the house represents an important element of the archaeological legacy of Kilkenny City. A finely-detailed shopfront displaying high quality traditional craftsmanship introduces an element of artistic design distinction enlivening the external expression of the composition at street level.