Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Architectural

Original Use


In Use As



1815 - 1835


250600, 155911

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey over basement house with dormer attic, c.1825, incorporating fabric of earlier house, c.1550. Reroofed and renovated with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor and dormer attic added. Pitched roof (hipped to dormer attic windows) behind parapet with replacement slate, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, rendered coping to party wall, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, rendered surrounds, and two-over-two timber sash windows having uPVC casement windows to dormer attic. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane display windows, timber panelled double doors having overlight, timber panelled door to house having overlight, fascia having fluted consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


A middle-size house retaining the original balanced proportions to the upper floors together with much of the historic fabric, thereby enhancing the character of the site in the streetscape despite some alteration works to the ground floor that have not had a beneficial impact on the external expression of the site. Medieval fabric having been uncovered in the late twentieth century includes a Tudor window frame identifying the importance of the site in the sixteenth-century archaeological legacy of Kilkenny City.