Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1885
Remains of gate screen, c.1875, comprising pair of limestone ashlar piers with stringcourses, pyramidal capping, and sections of cast-iron railings on limestone ashlar plinth having cross finials. Road fronted.
An appealing feature in the streetscape representing one of the last surviving components of an extensive convent complex (opened 1800; demolished, 1992) lost in the late twentieth century. Limestone ashlar piers exhibit high quality stone masonry while decorative cast-iron work enhances the artistic design distinction of the composition.