Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1805 - 1815
Detached eight-bay three-storey over basement malt house, built 1810, possibly incorporating fabric of earlier malt house, pre-1656, with segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor. Subsequently in use as brewery, post-1917. Decommissioned, post-1977. Undergoing extensive renovation, 2003-4, to accommodate proposed use as apartments. Pitched roof (gablet to one window opening to top floor) with replacement slate, 2004, clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 2004, on rendered eaves. Random squared rubble limestone walls with cut-limestone quoins to corners. Camber-headed window openings (one square-headed window opening to top floor extending into roof) with cut-stone sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds, and replacement uPVC casement windows, 2004. Segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor with red brick block-and-start surround supporting red brick voussoirs. Interior deconstructed, 2003-4, with internal floors removed. Road fronted.
A substantial building of functional appearance forming an important element of the industrial heritage of Kilkenny City having been built as a malt house, and later operating as a brewery throughout the twentieth century: archival sources indicate that a malt house has existed on site since before the mid seventeenth century, thereby representing a long-standing industrial presence on site. Presently (2004) undergoing extensive renovation works to accommodate an alternative purpose many of the original attributes have been retained: the regular distribution of small-scale openings produces an appealing rhythmic pattern in the composition while the construction in locally-sourced limestone with red brick dressings produces an attractive polychromatic visual effect in the streetscape. The site remains of additional importance for the connections with the Bryan, the Archdekin, the Sullivan, the Loughnan, and the Smithwick families, all noted brewing dynasties.