Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1765 - 1785
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house, c.1775, on a corner site. Extensively renovated, 2000. Now in use as offices. One of a group of three. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, 2000, clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 2000, on replacement timber eaves, 2000. Unpainted replacement roughcast walls, 2000. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, 2000. Round-headed door opening with timber pilaster doorcase, and timber panelled door having fanlight. Set back from line of road on a corner site with rendered boundary wall to front having rendered coping, and iron railings over.
An appealing middle-size house built as one of a group of three identical units (with 12000033 - 4/KK-4766-09-33 - 4) forming an attractive assemblage in the streetscape of James's Street. Despite extensive renovation works that have led to the loss of much of the historic fabric the original form and massing survive intact, thereby contributing to the integrity of the group while some replacement fittings have been installed with reference to the historic models on site. Medieval and early post-medieval artefacts uncovered during excavation works carried out as part of an extensive renovation programme identify the status of the site as an important element of the archaeological heritage of County Kilkenny.