Categories of Special Interest
The Grocery Hall
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Terraced single-bay three-storey house, c.1825. Extensively renovated, 1908, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in commercial use to upper floors. Roof not visible. Painted rendered walls with rendered channelled piers to ends having vermiculated panels, and rendered swept band to eaves. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite arrangement to first floor) with stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds having keystone to first floor, replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, 1908, to first floor, and timber casement window to top floor. Timber shopfront, 1908, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane display windows on panelled stall risers having colonettes, glazed timber panelled door having mosaic-tiled threshold, overlight, fascia having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-appointed modest-scale range distinguished in the streetscape by attributes including a bipartite arrangement producing the so-called "Kilkenny Window", fine rendered dressings, and so on, all of which enhance the architectural design value of the composition. A finely-detailed shopfront attributed to but probably merely influenced by the output of the Kilkenny Woodworkers Company introduces an element of artistic design importance to the site with attractive mosaic tile work embellishing the aesthetic appeal of the composition. Having been well maintained the house presents an early aspect with the elementary attributes in place together with most of the early fabric, thereby contributing to the visual appeal of an historic streetscape.