Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Refenestrated, c.1975. Extensively renovated with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on yellow brick eaves. Unpainted replacement cement rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers to ends. Square-headed window openings with replacement concrete sills, c.1975, rendered surrounds, and replacement timber casement windows, c.1975. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor with chamfered pilasters, fixed-pane (four-light) window on panelled stall riser, timber panelled door, fascia having decorative consoles, and dentilated moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
Notwithstanding extensive renovation works over the course of the late twentieth century that have led to the loss of much of the historic fabric the original composition attributes of a well-composed Classically-proportioned substantial house survive intact, thereby maintaining some of the integrity of the site. Making a prominent impression in the streetscape the house is identified by the vertical emphasis of the massing with the composition appearing to rise above the flanking ranges in the street.