Survey Data

Reg No

12000028


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1815 - 1835


Coordinates

250516, 156047


Date Recorded

16/06/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced single-bay four-storey house, c.1825, probably originally forming part of larger four-bay four-storey composition with building to south. Renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered stringcourses to each floor. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills forming sill courses, moulded rendered surrounds (no surround to top floor), one-over-one (first floor) and two-over-two (remainder) timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane display window, timber panelled door, fascia having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

Appraisal

A well-appointed middle-size house probably originally forming part of a larger substantial house with the range adjacent to south (12000029/KK-4766-09-29). Classically-proportioned with openings diminishing in scale on each floor the house lends an elegant formal quality to the streetscape. The survival of substantial quantities of the early fabric with particular emphasis on the upper floors further enhances the positive contribution the site makes to an historic street scene.