Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Single-arch hump back bridge over canal, dated 1794. Part repointed rubble limestone walls between cut-limestone piers with cut-granite "saddleback" coping to parapets. Single segmental arch below inscribed cut-granite panels ("1794") with granite ashlar voussoirs. Sited spanning Grand Canal with retaining walls to lock having benchmark-inscribed cut-granite rounded coping supporting pairs of timber gates.
A bridge representing an important component of the civil engineering heritage of County Kildare with the architectural value of the composition confirmed not only by the silver-grey granite dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arch making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the Sallins to Robertstown extension of the Grand Canal opened (1784) by the Grand Canal Company (incorporated 1772). NOTE: The bridge, labelled as "Digby's Bridge" on the Ordnance Survey County Kildare Sheet 14 (published 1839), is named after Simon Digby (----) of nearby Landenstown House who was elected as a Director of the Grand Canal Company (15th August 1772; Phillips in Dublin Historical Record 1939, 112).