Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Detached three-bay two-storey rubble stone former coach house, c.1850, with elliptical-headed integral carriageway to right ground floor. Renovated, c.1990, to accommodate use as commercial outbuilding. Hipped roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. No rainwater goods to cut-stone eaves course. Coursed square rubble granite walls. Cut-granite quoins to corners. Square-headed door opening. Stone lintel. Fittings not visible. Elliptical-headed integral carriageway to right ground floor. Cut-stone block-and-start surround and voussoirs. Replacement timber boarded door, c.1990. Square-headed window openings to first floor. Cut-granite block-and-start surrounds and lintels. Replacement louvered timber panels, c.1990. Set back from road in grounds shared with house to south-east (11802301, 27/KD040-23-01, 27), with side (south-west) elevation fronting on to road (Barrack Road).
This former coach house is a fine building that has been very well-maintained over the years to present an early form and character. Built of locally-sourced granite, a feature shared in common with further buildings in the historic core of Castledermot, the construction of the building attests to the high quality of stone masonry practised in the locality. Renovated in the late twentieth century, replacement fittings have been installed in keeping with the original integrity of the composition. The former coach house is an attractive feature on the streetscape of Barrack Road, the side (south-west) elevation fronting directly on to the road.