Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use

RIC barracks

In Use As

Community centre


1860 - 1900


278194, 185169

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, c.1880, retaining early aspect with three-bay two-storey return to rear to south-west. Now in use as community centre. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Exposed timber eaves. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Ruled and lined. Unpainted. Square-headed window openings. Stone sills. Original 6/6 timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening. Rendered doorcase with moulded cornice and triangular motif over. Replacement timber panelled door, c.1980. Road fronted. Tarmacadam footpath to front.


Castledermot Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks (former) is a fine and balanced building of graceful Classically-derived proportions that, despite a subsequent change of use, retains most of its original form and character. The building is of considerable social and historical interest as one of the earliest civic buildings in the locality (it was originally part of a self-contained group of civic buildings with a courthouse to south-east, which is apparently now gone) and as evidence of the former Royal Irish Constabulary presence in the locality. The building retains many important early or original features and materials, including an attractive doorcase and multi-pane timber sash fenestration, together with a slate roof – the retention of an early or original external aspect suggests that the interior may also retain features and fittings of significance. The former barracks is an attractive feature on the streetscape of Barrack Road leading out of the town to the north-west.