Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social

Original Use



1860 - 1880


278266, 185207

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1870. Renovated, c.1940, with timber pubfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed and refenestrated, c.1970, with openings remodelled to first floor. Now disused. Gable-ended roof. Replacement artificial slate, c.1970. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Rendered coping to gable. Timber eaves. Replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1970. Rendered walls. Ruled and lined. Painted. Rendered channelled pier to corner (south-west). Square-headed window openings remodelled, c.1970, to first floor. Concrete sills. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1970. Timber pubfront, c.1940, to ground with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows and glazed timber panelled double doors having overlight and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted. Concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


This house, possibly originally built as one of a group of three with the neighbouring houses immediately to left (north-east; 11823003-4/KD-40-23-03 - 4), has been much altered over the course of the twentieth century, with positive and negative results. The remodelled openings to the first floor do not correspond with the proportions of the remainder of the terrace, although the original form might be restored as part of future renovations works. The mid twentieth-century timber pubfront to ground floor is an attractive addition to the composition and alludes to the true traditional Irish model, composed on a symmetrical plan and without extraneous ornamentation – this feature ought to be retained in future development of the building. The pubfront emphasises the social and historic importance of the house, representing early evidence of the commercialisation of the locality. The house is an attractive feature on the streetscape, forming the corner building on the junction of Main Street, Market Square and Kernan’s Row, while continuing the established streetline and roofline of the street.