Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1750 - 1790
End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1770, on a corner site retaining early fenestration with single-bay two-storey side elevation to west. Reroofed and renovated, c.1940, with some openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Gable-ended roof. Replacement corrugated-iron, c.1940. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Rendered coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast walls. Painted. Cut-stone plaque, 1998. Square-headed window openings (two remodelled, c.1940, to ground floor with one converted to use as door opening). Stone sills. 1/1 timber sash windows. Fixed-pane timber display window to centre ground floor. Replacement timber panelled double doors, c.1980, to remodelled opening to right ground floor having timber fascia over (continuing over remodelled window opening). Road fronted on a corner site. Tarmacadam footpath to front.
This house, which is in good condition, is an important component of the architectural heritage of Ballitore, representing the early development of the area as a planned Quaker village. Originally composed on a symmetrical plan and with simple, graceful proportions, the house is representative of the modest dwellings of the locality and forms a neat group with the house immediately to east. The house has been well-maintained to present an early aspect and retains important early or original salient features including timber sash fenestration – the remodelled openings to ground floor do not detract considerably from the original tone of the composition while the timber fascia over is in keeping with the unadorned quality of the house. A modern (1998) cut-stone plaque attests to the historical associations of the house as the home of Owen Finn, shot during the Rebellion of 1798.