Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1740 - 2000
Quaker burial ground with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1745-present. Rubble stone boundary wall, c.1745, to site with square-headed pedestrian gateway. Gateway, c.1745, to north comprising pair of cut-stone monolithic piers with wrought iron double gates.
This burial ground, which is well maintained and still in use, is of considerable social interest, opened for the internment of deceased members of the Quaker village of Ballitore. Of historical interest, the burial ground represents the continued expansion of the Quaker community in the mid eighteenth century. The burial ground reflects the modest ethos of the Quaker religion, with plain cut-stone grave markers distributed in a simple arrangement. The gateway to north is an attractive, if subtle, feature on the side of the road, comprising simple monolithic piers and containing double gates that are a fine example of simple early wrought iron work.