Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
1760 - 1800
Detached four-bay two-storey rubble stone former market house, c.1780. Renovated, c.1840, with openings remodelled. Now in ruins. Roof now gone (originally gable-ended). Rendered chimney stack. Cut-stone course to eaves. Random rubble stone walls with traces of render over. Square-headed openings (some slit-style to first floor rear elevation to north) remodelled, c.1840. Rendered sills. Rendered surrounds (including block-and-start surround to former door opening). Fittings now gone with some openings now blocked-up. Interior now in ruins. Road fronted on an island site.
Ballitore Market House (former), although now in ruins, is of considerable social and historical importance for its original use, representing an early commercialisation of the village. The construction in rubble stone is in keeping with the majority of the historical building stock in the locality and represents a traditional method of building. The form of the building alludes to a subsequent change of use, as evidenced by the alterations of openings. The building is a prominent landmark in the locality, sited in the centre of the village.