Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Previous Name

Kildare Telegraph Office

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1870


273025, 212283

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay two-storey house, c.1850, originally detached with round-headed door opening to centre. Extended, c.1940, comprising single-bay two-storey lean-to lower return to rear to south-west. Reroofed and refenestrated, c.1990. Gable-ended roof (lean-to to return). Replacement artificial slate, c.1990. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stack. Replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on eaves course. Roughcast walls. Painted. Square-headed window openings. Stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Round-headed door opening. Rendered surround. Replacement glazed timber panelled door, c.1990, with sidelights and overlight. Road fronted. Concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


This house is an attractive middle-size building of modest proportions that is of social and historical significance representing the continued development expansion of Kildare town in the mid nineteenth century. Renovated in the late twentieth century, the house has lost most much of its original fabric, although the original from remains intact. The re-instatement of traditional-style timber fenestration might restore a more accurate representation of the original appearance of the house. The house is an attractive feature of the streetscape of Dublin Street, flanking the road leading into the town from the south-east.