Survey Data

Reg No

11814037


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1840 - 1880


Coordinates

267230, 219377


Date Recorded

20/05/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey building with half-dormer attic, c.1860, possibly originally two separate two-bay two-storey houses retaining early fenestration. Reroofed and renovated, c.1990, with ground floor remodelled internally to accommodate commercial use. Gable-ended roof (gabled to half-dormer attic windows). Replacement artificial slate, c.1990. Concrete ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Timber bargeboards to half-dormer attic windows. Replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990. Cut-granite walls to ground floor. Channelled. Cut-granite string/sill course to first floor. Red brick Flemish bond wall to upper floors. Cut-granite quoins to upper floors. Shallow segmental-headed openings. Stone sill course to first floor with stone sills to second floor having cast-iron rainwater goods passing underneath. 1/1 timber sash windows. Replacement fixed-pane timber display windows, c.1990, to ground floor. Replacement glazed timber door, c.1990. Road fronted. Concrete brick footpath to front.

Appraisal

This building, possibly originally built as two separate houses, is an attractive structure of mixed materials that has a positive impact on the streetscape of Main Street South. Although renovated in the late twentieth century, including remodelling the interior to ground floor, the building retains most of its original form and character to the exterior. Composed of graceful proportions, the segmental-headed openings to each floor add a rhythmic quality to the fa├žade, while the gables to the half-dormer attic articulate the roof line. The construction of the ground floor in cut-granite attests to the high quality of stone masonry traditionally practised in the locality, while the upper floors retain early red brick. The building retains many original features and materials, including timber sash fenestration to the upper floors. The building is of social and historic interest, representing a component of the continued development of the historic core of Naas in the mid nineteenth century. The building is of importance, also, for continuing the streetline of the terrace, and for contributing to the varied roofline of Main Street South.