Survey Data

Reg No

11814005


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Original Use

Store/warehouse


In Use As

Engine shed


Date

1770 - 1790


Coordinates

289307, 219314


Date Recorded

22/05/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey former canal warehouse, c.1780, with lean-to canopy over door opening to west. Extended, c.1800, comprising three-bay single-storey return to rear to east and single-bay single-storey rubble stone lean-to end bay to right (south) having three-bay single-storey return to rear to east. Extensively renovated, c.1990, to accommodate use as training centre. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered coping to gables. Replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1990. Lean-to roof to canopy. Replacement corrugated-aluminium, c.1990, on timber brackets with gablet over. Gable-ended and mono-pitch roofs to additional ranges. Replacement corrugated-aluminium, c.1990. Aluminium ridge tiles, coping and rainwater goods. Yellow brick Running bond walls to front (west) elevation. Cut-stone quoins. Rubble stone walls to side (north) elevation. Rendered walls to return. Painted. Random rubble stone walls to end bay to south and to return to east. Square-headed window openings. Stone sills. Brick dressings. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1990. Square-headed door openings (some in segmental relieving arches). Brick dressings. Replacement glazed timber panelled double doors, c.1990. Sited fronting onto canal harbour.

Appraisal

This former canal warehouse is an attractive feature fronting on to the canal harbour - originally a small-scale building, much extended in the early nineteenth century, the varied plan and roofline is a picturesque addition to the surroundings. Although extensively renovated in the late twentieth century to accommodate an alternative use, the amendments entailed in that process have not detracted considerably from the original integrity of the structure although, with the exception of the wall masses, few original features and fittings survive intact. The construction of the walls in rubble stone, with some sections fashioned in yellow brick, is a fine example of polychromy. The building is of social and historic interest for its originally intended use, having stemmed from the introduction of the canal to the locality and having been a product of the commercialisation and industrialisation of Naas.