1830 - 1870
Gateway, c.1850, comprising pair of granite ashlar piers with moulded cornice capping having globe finials, cast-iron double gates and rendered curved flanking walls with cast-iron pedestrian gates and granite ashlar terminating piers. Set back from line of dual carriageway with grass verge to front.
This gateway, which is an integral component of the Palmerstown House estate, is an attractive feature on the side of the dual carriageway and serves to convey to the passer-by the opulence of the main house. The construction of the piers reveals a high quality of stone masonry practised in the locality while the gates are important examples of early surviving cast-iron work.