Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1850 - 1890
Three-span cut-stone railway bridge over canal, c.1870, on a skewed plan. Renovated, c.1970, with parapet walls rebuilt. Coursed rock-faced rubble stone walls. Rubble stone piers. Three flat spans with concrete lintels (one rebuilt, c.1970, with steel girders to underside). Sited spanning Grand Canal as part of Great Southern and Western Railway line with grass banks to canal.
This railway bridge is a fine stone structure built as part of the Great South and Western Railway line, forming an imposing feature on the line, and is one of a group of bridges on the section of that railway line that passes through County Kildare. The construction of the spans is of technical and engineering merit. The bridge exhibits good quality stone masonry and fine, crisp joints. The bridge is of considerable historical and social significance as a reminder of the railway network development in Ireland, which brought about many technical advances and developed commercial activity in the mid to late nineteenth century.