Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1780 - 1800
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey over basement former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, c.1790, retaining early fenestration. Now in use as Garda Síochána Station. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Rendered coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods on eaves course. Roughcast wall to front (south-west) elevation. Painted. Rendered quoins to corners. Rendered walls to remainder. Unpainted. Square-headed window openings (round-headed window opening to side elevation to south-east). Stone sills. Moulded rendered surrounds. 2/2 timber sash windows (6/6 timber sash window to side elevation to south-east with fanlight). Square-headed door opening approached by flight of steps with cast-iron boot scraper. Moulded rendered surround. Tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Overlight. Road fronted. Concrete footpath to front. Laneway along side elevation to south-east.
This Garda Síochána Station, originally built as a Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, is of considerable social and historical interest as one of the earliest civic buildings in the historic core of Rathangan. Composed of graceful proportions on a symmetrical plan, the arrangement of openings to each floor produces a rhythmic effect that is an attractive feature on the streetscape. The building has been well-maintained and presents an early aspect, retaining important salient features including timber sash fenestration, timber door furniture, and a slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods. The station is an important component of the streetscape of Leinster Street, continuing the established streetline of the terrace, while contributing to the varied roofline of the north-west end of the street by soaring over the neighbouring buildings.