Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1800 - 1805
Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement former canal hotel, built 1801, retaining some early fenestration with three-bay three-storey pedimented breakfront having segmental-headed door opening to centre approached by flight of steps. Extended, 1804, comprising four-bay three-storey over basement return to rear to south-east forming L-shaped plan. Closed, pre-1864, and subsequently in use as Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks (post-1864) and Bord na Mona accommodation (1942-8). Renovated and part refenestrated, 1995. Now in use as training centre and museum. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan with slate (gabled to breakfront behind pediment). Clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods on eaves band. Roughcast walls. Painted. Cut-stone dressings to breakfront including 'quoins' and string/sill course to first floor. Roughcast pediment with cut-stone dressings and coping. Cast-iron clock to tympanum. Square-headed window openings (in round-headed recessed niches to ground floor and centre first floor breakfront). Stone sills (forming string/sill course to first floor breakfront). Some original 3/3 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Replacement timber casement windows, 1995, to remainder. Segmental-headed door opening approached by flight of cut-stone steps. Timber doorcase with timber panelled door, sidelights and spoked fanlight. Road fronted. Rubble stone boundary wall to front of open basement. Enclosed grounds to rear to south.
Robertstown Canal Hotel (former) is a fine and imposing Classical building that retains much of its original character. The largest-scale building in the locality, the hotel forms a dominant landmark terminating the vista through the village to the south, and is best appreciated from the approach into the village over Binns Bridge to the north (11806004/KD-13-06-04). The hotel is of considerable social and historical importance, having been constructed in tandem with the Grand Canal as a halting point when journeys took considerably longer than by modern means of transport. The hotel is also of importance for having provided the commercial centre in Robertstown, encouraging the village to grow and prosper. Although converted to an alternative use the building retains much of its original appearance - the replacement fenestration, while not taking the form of the original models, has been installed in keeping with the original character, using the same number of panes and similar proportions.