Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1860


288600, 239689

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay two-storey building, c.1840, originally detached with round-headed open arcade to ground floor. Extensively renovated, c.1970, with openings remodelled. Now in use as offices. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Yellow brick chimney stack. Iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Painted. Rendered dressings including quoin strips to corners. Square-headed openings remodelled, c.1970. Rendered sills. Replacement timber casement windows (fixed-pane timber display window to ground floor). Replacement glazed timber door, c.1970. Round-headed open arcade to ground floor on rendered piers with rendered voussoirs. Replacement iron railings, c.1970. Road fronted. Concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


This building, which was possibly originally built as a market house (identified by the characteristic arcade to ground floor), has been much renovated and altered in the late twentieth century, leading to the loss of some of the original form and character. The building is of some social and historic significance for its assumed original purpose, representing the early commercial development of Kilcock. The arcade to ground floor is an attractive feature fronting on to the road and distinguishes the building on the streetscape. Early salient features remaining include the slate covering to the roof.