Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1850 - 1890
End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house, c.1870, on a corner site possibly originally two separate houses with two-bay two-storey side elevation to north-west retaining one original window. Reroofed, c.1950. Extensively renovated, c.1985, with replacement timber pubfront inserted to right ground floor. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan. Replacement artificial slate, c.1950. Clay ridge tiles. Roughcast chimney stacks. Iron rainwater goods. Roughcast walls. Painted. Square-headed window openings. Stone sills. 6/6 timber sash window to first floor side (north-west) elevation. Replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1985, to remainder. Round-headed door opening. Replacement glazed aluminium door, c.1985, with replacement overlight. Replacement timber pubfront, c.1985, to right ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane display windows and glazed timber double doors having timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site. Concrete verge to front.
Aidan Byrne is an attractive building of balanced proportions that retains most of its original form and some of its early character. Possibly originally two separate houses, the building was extensively renovated in the late twentieth century to accommodate a commercial use. The replacement fenestration has resulted in a somewhat unattractive blank quality to the front (north-east) elevation and the re-instatement of timber fenestration (referring to the final remaining original article as a model) might restore a more accurate representation of the original appearance. The pubfront, however, has been inserted in keeping with the original integrity of the building and conforms, in the main, to the true traditional Irish model. The building is an attractive feature on the street, framing the square to south-west while forming a corner leading on to School Street, and the low-lying quality of the roofline adds incident to the streetscape.