Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1870 - 1910


288688, 239682

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey double-pile house, c.1890, retaining original fenestration with single-bay single-storey lean-to end bay to left (south-east). Renovated, c.1975, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Now disused to ground floor. Gable-ended double-pile (M-profile) roof with slate (lean-to to end bay). Clay ridge tiles. Roughcast chimney stacks. Iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls to ground floor. Painted. Roughcast walls to upper floors. Painted. Square-headed window openings to upper floors. Stone sills. 2/2 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening to right ground floor with chamfered reveal. Replacement glazed timber door, c.1975. Replacement fanlight, c.1975. Openings remodelled, c.1975, to ground floor. Concrete sills. Replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1975, and glazed aluminium doors having timber fascias over. Road fronted. Tarmacadam verge to front.


This house, which has been remodelled to ground floor in the late twentieth century to accommodate a commercial use, nevertheless retains most of its original form and character to the upper floors. A substantial building of graceful proportions, the house soars above the neighbouring properties and adds variety to the roofline of the streetscape framing the square to the south-west. Extant early salient features including timber sash fenestration to the upper floors, together with a slate roof, while attention to the ground floor might restore a more accurate representation of the original appearance of the building.