Survey Data

Reg No

11802004


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Bank/financial institution


In Use As

Bank/financial institution


Date

1870 - 1910


Coordinates

288755, 239715


Date Recorded

20/06/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay two-storey over basement Classical-style bank with dormer attic, c.1890, retaining early fenestration with prostyle diastyle pedimented porch to centre. Extended, c.1970, comprising single-bay two-storey return to rear to south-east. Hipped roof with slate (hipped to dormer attic windows). Red clay ridge tiles. Rendered chimney stacks. Overhanging timber eaves with modillions. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast walls. Unpainted. Rendered quoins strips to corners. Rendered plaque to first floor with decorative surround including entablature. Square-headed openings. Stone sills (concrete to return). Moulded rendered architraves to ground floor with entablatures. 2/2 timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening behind cut-stone prostyle diastyle pedimented porch. Timber panelled door with diamond leaded overlight. Set back from road with sections of iron railings to basement. Concrete footpath to front.

Appraisal

Ulster Bank is a fine and well-maintained Classical-style public building that, regardless of alterations necessary to improve security in the late twentieth century, has retained an early external aspect. The building is of social and historical interest as one of the earliest purpose-built bank buildings in the town. The massing of the front (north-west) elevation with tall, slender window openings (almost paired) and diminutive openings to the dormer attic achieves an attractive and unusual effect on the streetscape leading out of Kilcock to the north-east before the border with County Meath. The judicial use of render for decorative purposes is also an attractive feature that attests to the high quality of craftsmanship traditionally practised in the locality, and includes the pediment to the porch, architraves with entablatures to the openings to ground floor, a plaque with raised lettering and quoin strips to the corners. The buildings retains most of its original features and materials, including timber sash fenestration and a slate roof, and is a positive component of the architectural heritage of the historic core of the town.