Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
Saint Dominic's Catholic Church
In Use As
1960 - 1970
Freestanding hyperbolic paraboloid-roofed Catholic church, built 1963-5, on a wedge-shaped plan. Closed, 2015. Adapted to alternative use, 2018. Designed by John Thompson (1917-88) of Limerick working in close collaboration with Father Philip Alcock (1914-78), Prior of Athy, with hyperbolic paraboloid roof engineered by Stanislaus "Stan" Kenny (1895-1982). Abstract friezes designed by George Campbell (1917-79). Abstract stained glass designed by Campbell and produced (1964) by George W. Walsh (b. 1939) at Abbey Stained Glass (established 1944) of Dublin. Altar by Breda O'Donoghue Lucci (b. 1924) removed to Saint Michael's Catholic Church (see 11505021).