Survey Data

Reg No

11310001


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Country house


In Use As

Museum/gallery


Date

1735 - 1745


Coordinates

321956, 261166


Date Recorded

08/02/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached castellated thirteen-bay three-storey over basement house, built 1738. Comprising central three-bay block with breakfront tower and flanked by advanced three-bay wings which are terminated by towers. Remodelled c.1815. Set in large mature landscaped grounds overlooking restored walled garden. Curvilinear timber glasshouse, and two farm courtyards, c.1860. Rubble stone farm buildings arranged around two courtyards and nineteenth-century ice house. The dining room has intricately carved oak panelling by Italian brothers Guardocici dated 1889 featuring Taylor Family crest. ROOF: Concealed by crenellated parapet; double pitched; slate; rendered chimney; octagonal terracotta chimney pots. WALLS: Nap rendered; castellated parapet; rendered quoins and plinth; nap rendered sections forming Gothic arches above windows. OPENINGS: Square headed window and door openings; rendered window reveals; rendered cills with decorative corbels; 6/9 timber sashes and 4/4 bi-partite sashes; limestone door surround and hood moulding; late 18th century panelled timber door.