Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical

Original Use

Public house

In Use As

Public house


1880 - 1890


314364, 228728

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited detached three-storey public house and restaurant, c.1885, with four irregular bays to east and three-sided bow end. Yellow brick walls with red brick and terracotta string courses, aprons, arch mouldings and keystones, and elaborate dentil cornice. Segmental arched openings of various widths to ground floor, with plate glass windows and glazed timber doors. Timber sash windows to upper floors, first floor openings segmental arched. Multiple-bay irregular side and rere faces, rendered walls. Pitched slate roofs with yellow and red brick detailed chimney stacks. Retains substantial interior fabric. Two-storey stables to rere.


This public house makes a striking impression and is a landmark in the area, due largely to its bold façade articulation. Retaining many materials both outside and inside, including the stables to the rere, the building is a valuable constituent of the village, having many associations with the rich social history of the neighbourhood.