Survey Data

Reg No

11213029


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Garda station/constabulary barracks


In Use As

Garda station/constabulary barracks


Date

1920 - 1940


Coordinates

302454, 226791


Date Recorded

20/06/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay two-storey Garda Station, c.1930. Roughcast rendered walls with smooth rendered base course. uPVC casement windows. The centre three bays to the ground floor have round-headed blind recesses, with door to each east and west bay set back in a recessed porch with render surround. Hipped slate roof with smooth rendered chimney stack. Flat-roofed extensions to rere. Traditional cast-iron Garda Station street lamp in front lawn.

Appraisal

This traditional style Garda Station is attributed to T.F. O. Rippingham on stylistic grounds. Rippingham worked as an architect with the Ministry of Finance, Northern Ireland from 1922, having previously worked for the Office of Works in London. It is possible that the design was originally prepared by him but it was built by the Free State government after the Treaty. It is a fine example of a type used throughout the 1920 and 30s for police stations in Ireland, carefully proportioned with simple attractive ground floor detail.