Survey Data

Reg No

11211015


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social Technical


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1940 - 1960


Coordinates

313154, 229642


Date Recorded

28/05/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached cruciform plan Byzantine style church, c.1950. Fourteen-bay nave with flanking aisles. Hexastyle narthex on stepped podium. Semi-circular apse with flanking ancillary structures to south. Attached square campanile to east. Red brick walls with granite and concrete dressings. Wheel window to north gable, round-headed clerestorey windows to nave. Pitched and hipped pantile roofs. Richly decorated interiorwith coffered ceiling, arcaded nave and polychrome statue of Pius X.

Appraisal

A large, imposing mid twentieth-century church with an initially severe appearance but which, on closer inspection, possesses a wealth of attractive external detail in a restrained palette.Contains an opulent interior with many noteworthy structural and decorative features.