Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Archaeological Historical Technical
In Use As
1765 - 1785
Detached six-bay three-storey over basement former country house and outbuildings, c.1775, now in use as corporate headquarters of CRH plc. Square-plan medieval tower to the north-west with rubble stone walls, crennelations, and pointed arched windows. Rubble stone walls, roughcast rendered and painted. Small pane timber sash windows throughout. Timber panelled door with radial fanlight, pilasters and archivolt. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimney stacks. Two-storey rubble stone service projection to rere with elliptical-arched carriageway having granite surround, timber casement windows and pitched slate roof. Stone rubble walls with crenellated coping to the south. Ruined stable block to the south.
Belgard Castle has a long history stretching back 700 years and was one of the bastions of the Pale. The castellated walls and tower give the complex a stately and grandiose presence, particularly in relation to the immaculately-kept gardens. It has been respectfully maintained and kept to its eighteenth-century condition by the present owners.