Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social Technical
In Use As
1770 - 1800
Detached three-bay single-storey with attic public house, c.1780, with stables to basement accessed from rere. Roughcast rendered walls with render quoins. Timber casement windows, some in enlarged openings. Timber door. Pitched slate roof with two rendered chimney stacks. Two-storey flat-roofed extension to rere incorporating original stair projection, partly open to basement level. High rubble walls with multiple blocked openings enclosing former courtyard to east. Blocked carriage arch to north in rendered wall.
This building, which retains its original proportions, shows a long continuity of use, having been built as a public house to serve the canal. The rere yard and basement stables further demonstrate the importance of this site in the wider canal-related infrastructure.