Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1850 - 1880
Detached seven-bay two-storey over basement Victorian former country house, c.1865, now in use as a hotel. Timber sash windows in segmental-arched openings with moulded dressings, decorative keystone and bracketed stone sills. Two-storey central breakfront with projecting flat-roofed porch having parapet. Timber panelled door with fanlight and flanking windows, all with round-headed dressed arches with prominent keystones. Smooth rendered walls with raised quoins and moulded string and eaves courses. Three-sided two-storey projecting bay on north-west elevation with doorway leading to ornamental foot bridge over basement access. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimney stacks. Outbuildings to rere in form of limestone rubble tower and three-bay two-storey roughcast rendered gabled storage area. Multiple modern extensions.
Despite its comprehensive change of use and extensions, the main house retains many original materials and features, including the enriched façade openings and wall treatments, allow it to preserve much of its former handsome character.