Survey Data

Reg No

11203026


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social Technical


Original Use

Mill (water)


In Use As

Store/warehouse


Date

1750 - 1800


Coordinates

309128, 235525


Date Recorded

08/05/2002


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay double-height gable-ended former scutch mill, c. 1780. Large replacement metal windows in brick dressed round-headed openings with limestone sills set in limestone rubble walls with ashlar limestone quoins and stone eaves course. Openings blocked or partially blocked on north and east elevations. Replacement corrugated metal roof. Limestone mill sluice with timber sluice gate adjacent to the west. Modern extensions to north, south and east. Now in use as warehouse and business premises.

Appraisal

This former scutch mill is a good example of eighteenth-century industrial architecture. The enormous round-headed window openings are a distinctive feature of this building. It is part of a group of local mill buildings and structures that are an important element of the social heritage of the Palmerstown area.