Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1750 - 1800
Detached three-bay double-height gable-ended former scutch mill, c. 1780. Large replacement metal windows in brick dressed round-headed openings with limestone sills set in limestone rubble walls with ashlar limestone quoins and stone eaves course. Openings blocked or partially blocked on north and east elevations. Replacement corrugated metal roof. Limestone mill sluice with timber sluice gate adjacent to the west. Modern extensions to north, south and east. Now in use as warehouse and business premises.
This former scutch mill is a good example of eighteenth-century industrial architecture. The enormous round-headed window openings are a distinctive feature of this building. It is part of a group of local mill buildings and structures that are an important element of the social heritage of the Palmerstown area.