Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wexford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Colville Street, Goulding Street, Rosslare Harbour, County Wexford
15704840
Representative view of engine drivers
Reg. No.15704840
Date1906 - 1911
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYGILLANE BIG
CountyCounty Wexford
Coordinates313613, 112000
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Useworker's house
 
Description
Detached three- or five-bay single-storey engine drivers' dormitory house with half-dormer attic, occupied 1911, on a rectangular plan centred on single-bay single-storey advanced porch. Sold, 1984, to accommodate alternative use. Closed, 2004. For sale, 2009. Now disused. Pitched slate roof including flat roofs to window openings to half-dormer attic with clay ridge tiles, paired roughcast central chimney stacks having terracotta cornice capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, timber bargeboards to gables on timber purlins, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on exposed timber rafters retaining cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast walls on rendered chamfered plinth. Square-headed central door opening in segmental-headed recess with timber surround framing timber panelled door. Paired square-headed flanking window openings in camber-headed recesses with concrete sills, and concealed dressings with hood mouldings over framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings in bipartite arrangement (half-dormer attic) with timber surrounds framing four-over-four timber sash windows having exposed sash boxes. Street fronted on a corner site with piers to perimeter having shallow pyramidal capping supporting timber gate.

Appraisal

An engine drivers' dormitory house representing an important component of the early twentieth-century built heritage of south County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one forming the centrepiece of a new village erected in tandem with the redevelopment of Rosslare Harbour (1904-6) by the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours (FRRH) Company, suggested by such attributes as rectilinear plan form centred on a curvilinear-topped porch; and the high pitched roofline. A prolonged period of unoccupancy notwithstanding, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the restrained interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of an engine drivers' dormitory house making a pleasing visual statement in a harbour village street scene.
 
Back To Results