Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wexford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Colman's Catholic Church, Ballindaggan latterly Ballindaggin, County Wexford
15701420
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.15701420
Date1860 - 1865
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLINDAGGAN
CountyCounty Wexford
Coordinates289494, 147210
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached five-bay double-height single-cell Catholic church, opened 1864, on a rectangular plan with single-bay full-height buttressed gabled breakfront to entrance (west) front. Reroofed, 1899. Renovated, 1969, with sanctuary reordered. "Restored", 1992. Damaged, 1997. Repaired, 1998. Pitched slate roof with roll moulded terracotta ridge tiles, cut-granite "slated" coping to gables on cut-granite "Cavetto" kneelers including cut-granite "slated" coping to gable to entrance (west) front on cut-granite "Cavetto" kneelers with quatrefoil-perforated granite ashlar buttressed gabled bellcote to apex framing cast-bronze bell, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on exposed timber rafters retaining cast-iron downpipes. Part repointed tuck pointed schist-inserted coursed hammered granite battered walls with cut-granite flush quoins to corners; tuck pointed granite ashlar surface finish to entrance (west) front. Pointed-arch window openings with cut-granite Y-mullions, and cut-granite block-and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals with hood mouldings over on monolithic label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having stained glass margins centred on lattice glazing bars. Pointed-arch window opening to chancel (east), cut-granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals with hood moulding over on monolithic label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass margins centred on leaded stained glass panels. Pointed-arch "Trumeau" door opening to entrance (west) front with cut-granite threshold, and cut-granite block-and-start surround having moulded reveals with hood moulding over on monolithic label stops framing timber boarded doors. Pointed-arch window opening to gable, cut-granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals with hood moulding over on monolithic label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass margins centred on leaded stained glass panels. Pointed-arch door openings with cut-granite thresholds, and cut-granite block-and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals with hood mouldings over on monolithic label stops framing replacement fixed-pane fittings. Interior including vestibule (west); square-headed door opening into nave with replacement glazed timber double doors having overlight; full-height interior open into roof with choir gallery on an engaged half-octagonal plan below stained glass "West Window" (1899), carpeted aisles between timber pews, paired timber stations between frosted glass windows, carpeted stepped dais to sanctuary (east) reordered, 1969, with arcaded communion table (1934) below stained glass memorial "East Window" (1913), and exposed Hammerbeam timber roof construction on cut-granite beaded corbels with timber boarded or tongue-and-groove timber panelled polygonal vaulted ceiling in carved timber frame on carved timber cornice. Set in landscaped grounds with granite ashlar piers to perimeter having flat iron Cross finial-topped pyramidal capping supporting crocketed wrought iron double gates.

Appraisal

A church erected under the aegis of Reverend John Dunne PP (----) representing an integral component of the mid nineteenth-century built heritage of County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one succeeding a nearby thatched chapel (1780) marked on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1839; published 1841), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear "barn" plan form, aligned along a liturgically-correct axis; with construction in a silver-grey granite with schist inserts producing an eye-catcher "chequerboard" pattern; the "pointed" profile of the openings underpinning a "medieval" Gothic theme with the chancel defined by an elegant "East Window"; and the handsome bellcote embellishing the roofline as a picturesque eye-catcher in the landscape. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior reordered (1969) in accordance with the liturgical reforms sanctioned by the Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican (1962-5) where a font 'brought from Templeshanbo Abbey' [SMR WX014-011001-]; contemporary joinery; "cathedral glass" supplied (1899) by James Watson (b. 1859/60) of Youghal, County Cork; and the vibrant Jordan Memorial "East Window" (1913), all highlight the artistic potential of the composition: meanwhile, a complex roof construction 'using [an elaborate] tie beam system' (Craig and Garner 1975, 38) pinpoints the engineering or technical dexterity of a church forming part of a neat self-contained group alongside an adjacent parochial house (see 15701421) with the resulting ecclesiastical ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in a rural village setting.
 
Back To Results