Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wexford

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Marlfield House, County Wexford
15701209
[No Image Available]
Reg. No.15701209
Date1850 - 1855
Previous NameN/A
TownlandRAHEENAGURREN WEST
CountyCounty Wexford
Coordinates316717, 158850
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashotel
 
Description
Detached four-bay three-storey dower house, built 1852, on a T-shaped plan with two-bay three-storey bowed side elevations, and four-bay three-storey Garden Front (south) centred on two-bay full-height breakfront. "Improved", 1866. Vacated, 1975. Sold, 1977. Modified, 1982/9, to accommodate continued use as hotel [CEMA]. Hipped slate roof on a T-shaped plan with rolled lead ridges, rendered chimney stacks on "Cyma Reversa" cushion courses on rendered bases having "Torus" stringcourses below cornice capping on paired consoles supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging modillioned timber box eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Part creeper-covered semi-coursed random rubble stone walls on cut-granite chamfered cushion course on rendered plinth with rusticated red brick quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds including red brick block-and-start surrounds to ground floor with red brick header bond voussoirs over forming camber relieving arches, and one-over-one (ground floor) or six-over-six (first floor) timber sash windows retaining three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows without horns. Interior including carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, timber panelled shutters to window openings, Classical-style chimneypieces including some carved cut-white marble Classical-style chimneypieces, and picture railings below run moulded plasterwork cornices to ceilings; staircase hall retaining staircase with turned timber balusters supporting carved timber banister, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; bedrooms to upper floors with carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, timber panelled shutters to window openings, cut-white marble Classical-style chimneypieces, and picture railings below run moulded plasterwork cornices to ceilings. Set in own grounds with landscaped grounds to site [OS/SS].

Appraisal

A house of the middle size identified as a particularly important component of the mid nineteenth-century domestic built heritage of the rural environs of Gorey having been reconstructed by James Thomas Stopford (1794-1858), fourth Earl of Courtown, not only as a dower house connected with the Courtown estate, but also as the successor to, if not retaining the basis of an eighteenth-century house (extant 18??) displaying an alternative footprint on the Ordnance Survey (published 1841), once occupied by Reverend James Bentley Gordon (1750-1819), author of "History of the Rebellion in Ireland in the Year 1798" (1803) and one-time tutor to the children of the Earl of Courtown. Although much modified in the later twentieth century to accommodate an alternative use, those works involving the introduction of an overbearing "pastiche" frontispiece, the elementary form and massing prevail together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where timber fittings displaying good quality traditional joinery, Classical-style chimneypieces, and sleek plasterwork embellishments, all pinpoint the artistic potential of the composition. Furthermore, a collection of attendant outbuildings arranged about an adjacent courtyard contributes positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained estate having historic connections with the Stopford family including James Walter Milles Stopford (1853-1933), sixth Earl of Courtown, Major James Richard Neville Stopford OBE (1877-1857), seventh Earl of Courtown, and James Montagu Burgoyne Stopford (1908-1975), eighth Earl of Courtown.
 
Back To Results