Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Westmeath
15403106
General view of front.
Reg. No.15403106
Date1780 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILCUMRERAGH
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates223926, 240615
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached four-bay two-storey vernacular house, built c.1800 and extended c.1860. Pitched natural slate roof (large slates) with overhanging eaves, projecting eaves course, cast-iron rainwater goods, two rendered chimneystacks and a raised rendered verge to the north end. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth with raised quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron security bars to ground floor openings. Square-headed doorcase to front façade (east) having glazed timber door with overlight above. Set back from road with rendered boundary wall to road frontage having roughly cut stone coping over. Main entrance gates to the east comprising a pair of rendered gate piers, on square plan with cut stone pyramidal capstones over, supporting wrought-iron bar gates. Located to the north of a former corn mill (15403107) and to the extreme south of Westmeath adjacent to border with County Offaly. Outbuilding to the rear (west).

Appraisal

A particularly fine example of an extended vernacular house, retaining its early form and character. This highly appealing structure has the appearance of a subtly gentrified farmhouse and retains all its early fabric. The position of this building, located to the north of the remains of a former corn mill (15403107), suggests that it may have been originally built by the owner of this mill. The position of the chimneystacks indicates that this building was extended to the south by one bay at some stage, possibly during the mid-to-late nineteenth-century. The diminishing size of the window openings towards the eaves hints at a late eighteenth-century date. The good quality boundary walls and traditional wrought-iron bar gates to the west and the outbuilding to the rear completes this fine composition, which is one of the best examples of its type still extant within County Westmeath. The very well-maintained gardens perfectly compliment this picturesque site.
 
Back To Results