Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Anneville House, County Westmeath
15402631
Front elevation (west).
Reg. No.15402631
Date1745 - 1780
Previous NameN/A
TownlandANNEVILLE
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates243782, 246897
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey over basement country house, built c.1745, with a full-height canted-bay projection to the centre of the main elevation (west), a two-bay single-storey over basement wing to the south and a two-storey return to the rear (east). Hipped natural slate roof with a projecting eaves course, a pair of smooth rendered chimneystacks to the centre and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with square-headed window opening having cut stone surrounds, cut stone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Retains early timber sash windows to second floor openings. Rubble limestone construction to range to the south. Square-headed doorway to central face of canted projection (west), having timber panelled door with early door fittings, set in a cut limestone block-and-start surround with cut stone entablature over. Flight of cut stone steps flanked by parapet walls to either side gives access to doorcase. Main entrance to the north comprising rendered walls and rendered gate piers supporting wrought-iron gates. Complex of outbuildings to the east and northeast (15402630). Located to the south of Mullingar.

Appraisal

A fine and quite distinctive late eighteenth-century country house, which retains its early form and character. The retention of early timber sash windows, the cut stone window surrounds and the good quality doorcase helps to distinguish the front façade of this appealing and well-proportioned house. Its most prominent element is the canted projection to the front, a feature it shares with Carrick House (15402624) to the southwest and Woodville House (15402658) to the east. Set on a low rise it takes in commanding views of the surrounding countryside, particularly to the west. Anneville House was the home of the Rev. Thomas Robinson, curate at Moylisker Rectory, in 1786 and was the residence of William Robinson, Esq., in 1837. This handsome house is an important element of the architectural heritage of the county, forming a good pair of related sites with the associated outbuildings to the rear (15402630). The main entrance gates to the north complete the setting of this appealing composition.
 
Back To Results