Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Westmeath
15402315
View from the southwest.
Reg. No.15402315
Date1800 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandARDNAGRAGH (GRAY)
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates214178, 248437
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1820, having a single-bay entrance porch to the centre of the main façade (northeast) and a single-bay single-story extension to the southwest gable. No longer in use as a house. Pitched corrugated metal roof with raised verges to gable ends, a single central chimneystack and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pitched slate roof to later extension. Roughcast rendered walls having square-headed window openings with cut stone sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Cast-iron security bars to ground floor windows. Square-headed door opening to porch having timber sheeted door. Set back from road in own grounds to the east of Glassan with forecourt to west, enclosed by single-storey outbuildings to the north and south. Roughcast rendered boundary to west having a pair of rendered gate piers supporting a wrought-iron gate.

Appraisal

A classic, well-built, early nineteenth-century vernacular house, which retains its early form, character and fabric despite being no longer in active use as a private dwelling. The form of this modest but well-balanced structure is typical of the great many vernacular houses built in Westmeath at this time. However, few of these buildings are now extant or have been substantially altered and extended in recent times, making this a valuable survival. The later corrugated metal roof fails to detract from this building and is, in itself, almost a characteristic material of the vernacular tradition during the twentieth century in Ireland. This unassuming structure represents a good example of a modest early nineteenth-century house and is a worthy addition to the vernacular heritage of Westmeath.
 
Back To Results