Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Harmony Hall, County Westmeath
15402207
View of front façade (south).
Reg. No.15402207
Date1780 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandFARRANNAMOREEN
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates208408, 247948
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement country house, built c.1800, with (lower) two-storey return/wing to rear (north) at eastern end. Now in use as a private house. Shallow hipped natural slate roof, hidden behind raised parapet with cut limestone detailing, having cut stone chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed window openings having cut stone sills and timber sliding sash windows, partially blocked to ground floor openings. Tripartite window opening to centre of first floor (over doorcase). Central round-headed tripartite doorcase having timber panelled door, cut limestone surround with Doric pillars and a spider's web fanlight over. Sidelights now blocked. Flight of cut stone steps flanked by cast-iron railings to entrance front. Located to the northwest of Glassan with extensive views of Lough Ree\Killinure Lough to the south. Main entrance gates (15402206) to the southwest and a collection of ruinous outbuildings, arranged around a central courtyard, to the northwest.

Appraisal

A fine and typically well balanced neoclassical country house, which retains its early character, form and much of its early fabric. The plain front façade of this appealing country house is enhanced by the good quality tripartite Doric doorcase with elegant fanlight and by the Wyatt window. Harmony Hall forms the centrepiece of an interesting group of associated structure along with the gates and gate lodge to the southeast (15402206) and the collection of ruinous outbuildings to the northwest. Harmony Hall was originally built by a branch of the Handcock-Temple Family of Waterstown House (15314014), which is located a short distance to the southwest near Glassan.
 
Back To Results