Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - County Westmeath

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Glencara House, County Westmeath
View of entrance gates.
Reg. No.15401730
Date1815 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates229201, 251096
Original Usewalled garden
In Use Aswalled garden
Walled garden to rear (northwest) of Glencara House (15401728), built and laid out between c.1815 to c.1825, comprising a number of separate enclosures, rectangular in plan, with coursed rubble stone boundary walls having sections of brick lining to the interiors. Main entrance gates to centre of southeast-facing boundary with wrought-iron gate set in round-headed arch with ashlar surround. The walled garden contains three individual beech and hornbeam walks with ornamental box hedging.


An extensive complex of walled gardens and associated structures to the rear of Glencara House (15401728), which contributes positively to the group values and the setting within this important demesne. They act as an interesting historical reminder of the extensive organisation and the high level of resources needed to maintain a large country demesne in Ireland during nineteenth centuries. The fine wrought-iron gate with good moulded stone surround is an attractive feature of artistic merit. The beech and hornbeam walks are a rare survival, of historic and botanical interest, which add another layer to the romantic character and history to the demesne. The hornbeam walk was reputedly laid out to celebrate Wellington's victory at The Battle of Waterloo (1815). An equestrian arena (15401731), located adjacent to this structure, appears to incorporate the boundary wall(s) of part of this walled garden complex.
Back To Results