Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - County Westmeath

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ballynafid National School, County Westmeath
Front elevation (southwest).
Reg. No.15401204
Date1845 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates241171, 260804
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
Original Useschool
In Use Ascommunity centre
Detached five-bay single-storey former National School, built c.1847, with projecting gable-fronted single-bay single-storey entrance porch to centre of front façade (southwest). Now in use as a community centre. Hipped natural slate roof. Constructed of coursed rubble limestone with square-headed window openings with splayed cut stone surrounds (flush), cut stone sills and replacement windows.' Ballinafid National Schools'. Square-headed doorcases to east face of porch and to east elevation with replacement timber doors. Carved stone plaque to front of entrance porch with inscription: 'These schools erected by a bequest of Mr James Carroll 1847'. Set back from road in own grounds with rubble limestone boundary wall to frontage (southwest). Single-storey extension to northwest corner.


A modestly detailed, mid nineteenth-century school, which retains its early character despite recent alterations. Its form and layout is typical of the many rural schools built throughout Ireland following the establishment of the National Education Board in 1831. It is well-built using good quality local limestone, which helps to integrate this building into the surrounding countryside. Located in a prominent location overlooking the main road, this school contributes positively to the architectural heritage and is an important part of the social history of the local area.
Back To Results